Pictou County Shared Services Authority is seeking a Regional Emergency Management Alternate Coordinator on a contractual basis.
Position Description: Reporting to the Regional Emergency Management Coordinator and the Regional Emergency Management Unified Command Group the Regional Emergency Management Alternate Coordinator is responsible for aiding in the developing and maintaining overall emergency management plans and procedures for the Towns of New Glasgow, Pictou, Stellarton, Westville, and Trenton, and the Municipality of the County of Pictou. The Alternate Coordinator is required to assist the Coordinator and municipal departments and non-governmental and volunteer agencies to develop plans and procedures which complement the combined plans for the County; to help facilitate inter-and intra-agency co-operation; and to help co-ordinate municipal operations with those of the provincial and federal governments in the event of an emergency.
• Work with the Coordinator to Coordinate emergency planning for the Towns of New Glasgow, Pictou, Stellarton, Westville, and Trenton, and the Municipality of the County of Pictou.
• Advises Mayors/Warden and/or Council respecting emergency management issues and the municipality’s state of emergency preparedness when Coordinator is unavailable to do so.
• Help Coordinator Maintain the municipal emergency plan.
• Work with Coordinator to Ensure the Emergency Operations Centre is prepared for use.
• Conducts emergency management activities.
• Work with Coordinator to Facilitate, design, and conduct emergency training and exercises.
• On-Site presence both during and after an emergency situation
• Collaborates with Provincial Emergency Management Organization Zone Controller to recommend candidates for training.
• Participates in the planning process for Emergency plans for Pictou County’s Homes for Special Care with EMO Nova Scotia.
• Liaises with Zone Controller and Provincial EMO (as required)
• Conducts hazard assessments and risk analysis.
• Increase public awareness through education for emergency preparedness.
• Work with Coordinator to Develop and maintain an inventory list of resources available for an emergency response.
• Work with Coordinator to Promote and maintain memoranda of understanding within the County for a collaborative response to an emergency.
• In the event of a disaster situation, the REMO Alternate Coordinator will work with Coordinator to ensure a prompt, coordinated response of relevant volunteer organizations and specialist response teams, and will follow the Municipality’s established protocols and procedures.
• Attends meetings, as required.
• Post-secondary education and a minimum of five (5) years related experience; however, an equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
• Emergency Management Certification or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Knowledge of Federal, Provincial and Municipal legislation, regulations, codes, and Municipal By-laws with respect to emergency measures.
• Knowledge of emergency preparedness methods, techniques, and procedures is considered an asset.
• Computer skills.
• Possess a dependable vehicle and a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 20 hours per week
Contract Price: $7,200 per annum